More zucchini bread actually.
I really shouldn’t be eating baked goods all the time. No one should really. But I really need chocolate in my life. Intense, deep, dark chocolate is my favorite.
Ok, full disclosure. Dark chocolate is not my favorite. There, I said it! I am a milk chocolate girl all the way. Sweet, creamy, milk chocolate is where it’s at.
But, dark chocolate is better for my health, so if I must have chocolate to survive, I will reach for the dark. 99% of the time anyway. It’s loaded with antioxidants, it’s good for your heart by increasing blood flow, increases HDL (the good cholesterol) and lowers blood pressure, improves brain power and can help protect your skin from sun damage. That’s some pretty awesome news for chocolate lovers.
Don’t go overboard though. It still has a lot of calories and it should be good quality, organic with at least 70% or higher cocoa content.
This bread, actually more like cake than bread has that intense dark chocolate flavor because of the good quality chocolate and also has very little sugar. The coconut oil and loads of zucchini keep it moist and the addition of the dark chocolate chips and espresso powder make it really POP! Let’s not forget the added protein from the Greek yogurt. This bread, cake, whatever you want to call it, is not only incredibly delicious, but incredibly healthy.
You’re gonna want to double this recipe. Trust me!
I love healthy, delicious baked goods. They are everything that’s right with the world ♥
Dark Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded zucchini, not squeezed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c. white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch process)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder (or 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder)
- 1 c. semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (I used Guittard Dark Chocolate chips) reserve 1/4c. to sprinkle on top of cake before baking
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a 8×4 loaf pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Place the shredded zucchini on a couple paper towels to absorb some (but not all!) moisture. Press a paper towel on top as well. Set aside until step 4.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, instant coffee, and chocolate chips together until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, yogurt, sugar, and vanilla together until completely combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Fold in the zucchini. Pour/spoon batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Set on a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Slice and serve when bread is completely cooled. Wrap or store in an airtight container at room temperature or freeze (thaw overnight in the fridge and bring to room temp to serve)
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction (check out her recipe, she has lots of extra helpful tips)