Do you cook with your kids? It is one of my favorite things to do with them. I remember cooking with my grandmother, my great aunt and my mother. I loved learning how to cook traditional Polish food. I cherish every one of those memories. I am looking forward to sharing some of those recipes with my daughter. And you for that matter.
Spending time with the kids in the kitchen is not only special, but important. Nina learns fractions, weights and measurements, and Andrew is learning how to take care of his own basic needs. He is a teenage boy with a bottomless pit for a stomach and hollow legs. I can’t cook 24/7 for the kid. He’s going to have to start doing some of it himself.
Although I am trying to eat better and teach the kids good eating habits, we still like to have the occasional sweet treat too. Balance is key.
This recipe came from Cookbook for Girls-Festive Food for Fun Times that Nina chose from a recent visit to the library. This book had simple recipes that she could try with minimal assistance from me. And the end result was super delicious. This a is a great book for a budding chef.
If you haven’t started inviting the kids into the kitchen, it’s time to start. You’ll create some delicious memories and great life skills that will serve them well.
- 2 Tbls (30ml) corn or vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) unpopped popcorn
- 3 Tbls (75ml) corn syrup
- 1/3 c. (50g) brown sugar
- 2 oz. (50g) butter
- Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the popcorn and, with the lid on, shake to coat in the oil.
- Over medium heat, shake the pan occasionally until the corn has popped. Wait until there is 3 to 5 seconds between each pop then remove from heat
- Place the butter, sugar and corn syrup in another saucepan
- Stir together over medium heat until the butter had melted and sugar has dissolved
- Put the popcorn into a large mixing bowl and drizzle the toffee sauce over the top
- Stir until the popcorn is coated. Stop stirring when the sauce has cooled and is setting
- Leave until cool enough to eat
*Affiliate links used in this post