I’ve never been a huge fan of Valentine’s Day. My mother in law used to call them “Hallmark Holidays“. Of course she didn’t like much, but I tend to agree with her on this one. I’m pretty lucky in that my husband spoils me all the time, not just February 14th.
Also, I’m not very traditional. I hate cut flowers, chocolate is so cliché and cards are too corny for words. So yeah, I could really care less. For real. I’m not just saying that so I can get mad when I don’t get anything.
I know he feels like he has to do something. Probably so the guys don’t razz him. But personally, I think he should tell them they’re just jealous that their wives aren’t as easy-going and awesome as his wife. He can totally back that statement with the fact that he never once changed a diaper and the kids come to me to unclog the toilets. Just sayin.
That being said, I still love all the Valentine’s Day hoopla. I get all sorts of happy when I walk the holiday aisles at Target. And I love helping Nina put together the perfect Valentines treats for her class party. Oh my God I sound like a Martha Stewart wannabe. I know, I hear myself. Honestly, if Andrew would still let me, I’d send him to school with pretty little treats and TMNT cards for all the girls.
Sorry, I’m getting weepy thinking about my baby boy getting older.
Sweets for the sweet
Back to Valentine’s Day. I came across these NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Delightfulls while strolling the baking aisle the other day and could not resist myself. They screamed Valentine! And boy were they right!
These oversized cookies were so chewy and rich, yet not overly sweet. If you have a sweetie who needs a sweetie, I suggest giving these a try. I guarantee you’ll get a smooch for it.
- 2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. baking cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 c (12-oz pkg) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® DelightFulls Dark Chocolate Cherry filled morsels
- 1/4 c. NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Mini Morsels (optional)
- PREHEAT oven to 375° F.
- COMBINE flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs for about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels. Use a large ice cream scoop and drop onto parchment lined baking sheets.
- BAKE for 10 minutes or until cookies are slightly underdone in the center. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from verybestbaking.com