Date night looks different for couples that have been married for years. Goodbye to the jitters of a first date. Hello monotony of twenty years of marriage. But, it doesn’t have to be like that! Here are forty amazing date night ideas that will put the butterflies back in your belly and help keep your marriage alive.
Many couples don’t make time for date night. We live in an over-scheduled world and making time for one more thing can be tough. And, let’s be honest, it’s easy to prioritize work and children and take our spouse or marriage for granted.
I’m sure you are well aware of the reasons why date night is important. It fosters communication, decreases stress, places importance on the relationship and increases a sense of intimacy.
If you still haven’t embraced the idea of date night, here are a few more reasons to make it a priority.
- You’ll both be happier when you realize that you matter to each other by prioritizing your relationship.
- It seems obvious, but couples who spend more time alone together have less risk of divorce than those who do not frequently connect with each other.
- Couples who make their relationship a priority feel closer to each other and therefore, find each other more attractive which can lead to a more fulfilling sex life.
- Women are more satisfied in general. That connection with your spouse makes you feel safe and supported.
- Striking a balance between what you enjoy and what your spouse enjoys can be invigorating and tighten the bond by showing their interests are still important to you.
You can do better than dinner and a movie
At a loss for new ideas? I’ve got you! Here are some amazing date night ideas to get you out of a Check out Eventbrite for any kind of event in your area.
- Take a cooking class
- Try a liquor tasting event. Whatever your thing is. Whether it’s wine, beer, whiskey, whatever! There is a tasting for it all.
- Try an Escape Room
- Get a couples massage or a pedicure
- Go golfing (mini or regular)
- Hit the gym
- Attend a trivia or game night at a local brewery or restaurant
- Have a multi-venue dinner. Appetizers, cocktails, dinner and dessert all at different venues
- Go to a museum
- Take a walk or a hike
- Paint a room
- Plan a trip
- Make dinner together
- Go to an amusement park
- Go bowling
- Take a dance class
- Tour a brewery
- See a comedy show
- Take a ghost tour of your city
- Go to a sporting event
- Have a picnic
- Go to a drive-in movie
- Try a Sip & Paint
- Go to a shooting range
- Redecorate a room
- Drive around and look at Christmas lights
- Take a boat ride
- Take a kayaking tour
- Go to the zoo
- Visit the farmers’ market
- Go apple picking then make a pie
- Try goat yoga
- Do a scavenger hunt (check out locations here)
- Do a Pub Crawl
- Sing Karaoke
- Go to a shooting range
- Try axe throwing
- Have a bonfire and make s’mores
- Take a one-night retirement planning seminar
- Netflix & chill
Tips for a great date night
- Write it down! Whether it’s in your Outlook or google calendar or written in a planner. Make sure it is scheduled somewhere, you’ll be less likely to forget or over-schedule yourself.
- Be present and put away the phones. Give each other the attention your relationship deserves.
- Save conversation that you know will trigger an argument for another time. Now is the time to relax and enjoy each other’s company. Deal with the heavy stuff another day.
Pin for later
You can check out some date night research here if you’re a stats person.