This year we will be celebrating Independence Day a bit different than we have in the past. Many fireworks displays have been canceled leaving small gatherings of friends and family the safest, best way to celebrate. And there is no better way than these 4th of July red, white & blue Jello shots to have a good time on the fourth!
Because let’s face it, nothing says “God bless America” quite like slurping layers of red, white and blue gelatinous booze from a teeny tiny cup. Am I right? And trust me, you will be the talk of the party when you start handing these little guys out.
They are totes adorable, fruity, yummy and they pack a punch. I know this because I sucked up a couple while taking their pic totally forgetting they are loaded with vodka. I did keep my wits about me long enough to tell my daughter they were off limits.
They look for difficult than they are!
These are super easy to make, just a bit time consuming waiting for all the layers to set up before pouring the next one. You could speed up the process a bit by only doing one thicker layer of each color, which would also be awesome and totally acceptable. And people will still think you are an amazing human. But all these layers? C’mon, those are prettier than the fireworks.
These made 50 2 oz. shots. The little cups came from Walmart but you can grab them here too and since they are individually covered, I can throw them easily in the cooler and people can grab them at their leisure. By people I mean grown ups. 21+ They may look all 6 year old, but they are strictly 21 and older. I did have to warn the kids.
“DO NOT TOUCH THESE! YOU WILL GET SICK AND I WILL GO TO JAIL! COMPRENDE?”
You’ve still got a couple days to get going on these. So head over to Walmart and pick up your cute little cups, Jellos, sweetened condensed milk and hit the liquor store for some Smirnoff Red, White & Berry flavored vodka (this is not an ad, it’s just what I used and it was delightful). And get to it!
Please slurp responsibly!
- 2 boxes Cherry Jello or any red
- 2 boxes Berry Blue Jello
- 2 boxes Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 cups Smirnoff Red, White & Berry flavored vodka an fruity flavor will do
- 2 oz. Disposable cups with lids
- Prepare Jello according to fast set instructions on the package
- Measure out ½ cup water into a bowl and sprinkle 2 packets of unflavored gelatin on top and allow to bloom for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour bloomed mixture into a saucepan over low heat. Stir mixture constantly until gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and pour dissolved gelatin into red Jell-O.
- Add ½ cup of vodka to red cherry Jell-O mixture and stir to combine.
- Repeat the steps for the blue Jell-O.
- Empty sweetened, condensed milk into a bowl; set aside.
- Measure 2 cups of water into another bowl and sprinkle 4 packets of unflavored gelatin on top and allow to bloom for about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour bloomed mixture into a saucepan over low heat. Stir the mixture constantly until the gelatin dissolves.
- Remove from heat and pour the dissolved gelatin into the sweetened condensed milk and stir gently
- Add 1 cup vodka to mixture and stir to combine
- Clear out a spot in the fridge in order to slide a large cookie sheet flat.
- Arrange cups on sheet to begin the assembly.
- Measure and pour 1 tablespoon of red (or blue it doesn't really matter) into each cup and place pan in refrigerator and allow to chill for 8-10 minutes to set.
- Remove pan and pour 1 tablespoon sweetened, condensed milk on top of first layer. Return pan to refrigerator and chill for 8-10 minutes to set.
- Remove the pan from refrigerator. Measure and pour 1 tablespoon of alternating color Jell-O on top of the sweetened, condensed milk layer. Return to refrigerator and chill for 8-10 minutes to set.
- Repeat steps 3-5 until the cups are filled*
*If you want to save a bit of time, you can always just make them in 3 layers. They taste the same and are still show stopping! This is a judgement free Jello zone. So you do you!
Here are some other awesome crowd-worthy recipes for get summertime get-togethers!